Saturday, March 10, 2007

Week 1: Introducing "Are we there yet?"

Hi, my name is Kathryn, I am 17 years old and will turn 18 in May (I can't wait). It is so frustrating being 17, you not a child anymore but your not considered to be an adult, I work part time at a convenience store five nights a week but by law I can't sell cigarettes.

I am an Arts student at Griffith University-Gold Coast with my main interest being Digetal Video. Like most people I was nervous about my first week at uni. Although I eventually managed to find my way to all my classes, the venue was changed for one of my subjects (Psychology) without me being aware of it and I found myself in a Law lecture, talk about being nervous and confused. The biggest difference from High School I have noticed is the amount of hours you have to spend reading the course material.

One of the courses I am currently enrolled in is "1501ART New Communication Technologies". So far in the course we have looked at the history of communication technologies from Morse's code and the telephone to ipods, weblogs and the Internet. I can't possibly imagine a life without all the technologies that we have available to us today. Just think if it took only fifty years to go from the invention of the telephone to the creation of the television what new communication technologies will be present fifty years into the future from now.

One of the requirements of this course is to create and maintain a weekly weblog, which is why http://www.123arewethereyet.blogspot.com/ has been created. The title of this weblog - Are we there yet? - was chosen because just like going on a long journey, this weblog will reflect my progress through this course.

Over the next 12 weeks I will be adding weekly posts about information covered in the lectures and the tutorials as well as my own personal thoughts on what's been covered in the course so far. I will also be including links to sites that can be used for the essay research as well as links to other student's weblog.

No comments: