Monday, March 19, 2007

Week 3

This week's lecture focused on the history of the computer and the tutorial task was to talk about personal experiences with communication technologies. It was interesting to see how the computer developed. I didn't know that Englishman Charles Babbage invented the first computer in the 19th century, or how another Englishman, Alan Turing, developed it further as a tool to be used to break German "Enigma" codes during World War II.

While I am aware that Apple Computers and Microsoft are the biggest companies producing computers and software, I wasn't aware of how these companies started, or that Bill Gates's success came from selling and operating system to IBM at $50 per computer.

Today almost every home has a personal computer and it has become an almost necessary element in every day life. I have had a PC for at least 15 years and have been connected to the Internet for over 5 years. I use the Internet mainly as a "library" for research of school assignments and would not have been able to complete High school without it. Today I find that I am using it more of a way of communicating, particularly with the university.

The two main communication devices I use are mobile-phone text messaging and the Internet. I have only accessed the Internet to communicate with relatives and friends by using MSN Messenger and sending emails. I have never talked to people that I didn't know through chat rooms due to the obvious dangers associated with talking to and meeting with strangers. While the Internet is a convenient way to communicate with others I prefer to talk with my friends in person where I can see them face to face (but of course we all text each other to arrange when and where to meet).

No comments: